(
mindlessflight) wrote in
anonrerising2026-04-23 05:27 pm
The Future of ARR
Final edit, 05/10/26:
ARR is now archive only; only members may comment, and membership is closed, so no one can comment, not even to leave screened comments.
For full transparency, I have unscreened all the comments on this post. None have been deleted. [They would show up as (deleted comment)]
A few entries had their comments disabled, so I will be going through them to turn them back on so the threads will be restored. Thank you for your patience while I restore the comm now that I have had time to double check that no one can abuse the comm's contents.
Original Post, 4/32/26:
After taking a break, @vasemod and I have talked and mulled over things.
ARR as it is currently isn't working. The purely anonymous aspect of ARR is what set it apart from Tumblr, at least until Tumblr allowed for people to reply to posts from side blogs, remaining detached from their main blogs and avoid direct harassment.
However, SMR doesn't have the same culture/rules as ARR, and it is what continues to set the two communities apart.
We aren't going to reopen the community - not right now. We need more time due to real life, but in the mean time, I am making an announcement:
ARR will open again in a month or so - but only to registered users, with all anonymous commenting disabled.
The short of this decision: Accountability and the health of the community.
We have not been the perfect community and I don't claim it ever has been, with past incidents, and I want to rectify the shortcomings of our community's current format.
The nitty gritty of this decision:
Accountability: With accounts required, any harmful comments made can be reported to dreamwidth, and if we have a repeat of our worst offense, steps can be made to address it.
Samenoning/Bait threads: By having accounts attached, it's easier to see who's saying what, and we can hopefully prevent the same asinine threads that were causing petty infighting.
Administration: It allows @vasemod and I to ban commenters with repeat offenses/warnings. (We'll be doing a three-strike warning system before banning.)
This place was supposed to be a place for people to air out salt, warn of bad players, and complain about general grievances that would otherwise get you banned/suspended from FR. It turned into SMR with anonymity that made it a cesspool and a literal cause of stress for Vasemod and myself. It went from a project and a labor of love to a job that we dreaded having to deal with.
Vasemod and I are tired of this, so we're wanting to take control and accountability back, and this is the best way to do so.
Dreamwidth accounts are free, and you don't have to put anything in your profile that ties you to your FR/Tumblr account, allowing you to remain anonymous in that regard, but giving us the ability to maintain decorum.
The rules of ARR will likely be edited when this goes into effect (with full transparency of these changes with annotations and dates), and once they're edited, we will be posting them again, so folks in the community- new and old- can go over them again.
I am leaving comments open on this entry to allow feedback, suggestions, and questions - and only related to this matter. We're not open for general FR drama right now. (Anonymous comments will be screened, but I will unscreen them as I reply, and will freeze as necessary to prevent pointless drama.)
I am sorry we've had to go this route, but it's a last attempt at trying to keep the community going - keeping it anonymous would likely have just ended up with Vasemod and I abandoning it altogether. We ask for your patience while we work on this.
Thank you for your time.
PS: The hateful comments left on the various entries have not helped. If you hate us that much, you are free to make your own community; if you think you can do better, do so, and we will close ARR for good.
ARR is now archive only; only members may comment, and membership is closed, so no one can comment, not even to leave screened comments.
For full transparency, I have unscreened all the comments on this post. None have been deleted. [They would show up as (deleted comment)]
A few entries had their comments disabled, so I will be going through them to turn them back on so the threads will be restored. Thank you for your patience while I restore the comm now that I have had time to double check that no one can abuse the comm's contents.
Original Post, 4/32/26:
After taking a break, @vasemod and I have talked and mulled over things.
ARR as it is currently isn't working. The purely anonymous aspect of ARR is what set it apart from Tumblr, at least until Tumblr allowed for people to reply to posts from side blogs, remaining detached from their main blogs and avoid direct harassment.
However, SMR doesn't have the same culture/rules as ARR, and it is what continues to set the two communities apart.
We aren't going to reopen the community - not right now. We need more time due to real life, but in the mean time, I am making an announcement:
ARR will open again in a month or so - but only to registered users, with all anonymous commenting disabled.
The short of this decision: Accountability and the health of the community.
We have not been the perfect community and I don't claim it ever has been, with past incidents, and I want to rectify the shortcomings of our community's current format.
The nitty gritty of this decision:
Accountability: With accounts required, any harmful comments made can be reported to dreamwidth, and if we have a repeat of our worst offense, steps can be made to address it.
Samenoning/Bait threads: By having accounts attached, it's easier to see who's saying what, and we can hopefully prevent the same asinine threads that were causing petty infighting.
Administration: It allows @vasemod and I to ban commenters with repeat offenses/warnings. (We'll be doing a three-strike warning system before banning.)
This place was supposed to be a place for people to air out salt, warn of bad players, and complain about general grievances that would otherwise get you banned/suspended from FR. It turned into SMR with anonymity that made it a cesspool and a literal cause of stress for Vasemod and myself. It went from a project and a labor of love to a job that we dreaded having to deal with.
Vasemod and I are tired of this, so we're wanting to take control and accountability back, and this is the best way to do so.
Dreamwidth accounts are free, and you don't have to put anything in your profile that ties you to your FR/Tumblr account, allowing you to remain anonymous in that regard, but giving us the ability to maintain decorum.
The rules of ARR will likely be edited when this goes into effect (with full transparency of these changes with annotations and dates), and once they're edited, we will be posting them again, so folks in the community- new and old- can go over them again.
I am leaving comments open on this entry to allow feedback, suggestions, and questions - and only related to this matter. We're not open for general FR drama right now. (Anonymous comments will be screened, but I will unscreen them as I reply, and will freeze as necessary to prevent pointless drama.)
I am sorry we've had to go this route, but it's a last attempt at trying to keep the community going - keeping it anonymous would likely have just ended up with Vasemod and I abandoning it altogether. We ask for your patience while we work on this.
Thank you for your time.
PS: The hateful comments left on the various entries have not helped. If you hate us that much, you are free to make your own community; if you think you can do better, do so, and we will close ARR for good.

no subject
no subject
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-24 03:44 am (UTC)(link)I think accounts are the only way to go and appreciate the transparency.
no subject
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-24 04:54 am (UTC)(link)no subject
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-24 07:02 am (UTC)(link)no subject
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-24 04:08 pm (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-24 05:26 pm (UTC)(link)The changes sound reasonable to me. I just want a community to have a semi normal conversation about things that we can't talk about on site, with some reasonable venting allowed. I'm so sick of the stupid shit that the old format kept devolving into
Thank you for the updates and I hope you are all doing okay with everything!
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-25 03:27 am (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-26 08:30 am (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-27 04:32 am (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-28 02:01 am (UTC)(link)question - with posters having accounts, will there be rules against threads that are calling out specific ARR posters? this is the only concern i can think of really, because with the history of recent posters i can definitely see people trying to do this.
in the same vein i can see people making more attempts to say: "hey [ARR poster], you're [FR user] aren't you", with it being easier to see what one anon is saying over a period of time.
also in relation to bans, if you were to ban a poster's account from posting on ARR, is there anything preventing them from making another account and continuing to post? or are they also IP blocked when their acct is? not at all familiar with how dreamwidth works sorry!
no subject
The rules will still apply "No 'Hi X'" threads/comments, because unless someone directly mentions/references their FR account, that is 100% on them.
It's not against the rules to de-anon, but given the state of things, I really don't suggest it.
As for banning, Vasemod and I can block accounts from commenting in ARR, and they could very well remake, but at least with actual accounts, I can report them to Dreamwidth.
Dreamwidth DOES do IP blocking - they block IPs if they're suspected of bot activity, or if they're located in Mississippi
I'm hoping this will be a good compromise of anonymity and security while still maintaining ARR's format.
Thank you guys for your continued patience and support, it means a lot <3
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-28 08:55 am (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-28 09:18 pm (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-29 03:28 pm (UTC)(link)no subject
If you have suggestions to go with your disagreement, by all means, share your grand schemes and plan of action.
This post was for feedback, so if you have some to contribute other than "Bad idea," then please. Enlighten us.
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-29 05:24 pm (UTC)(link)no subject
And again, you have no other advice except "give it up"
We take a harsh approach, we got called tyrannical (back in the beginning). We take a lighter touch, and someone gets doxxed. We get hard ass again, and folks go crying to smr and we're compared to kiwifarms. We go hands off approach, we get complaints that there's pointless drama.
This likely won't be permanent, but I'm trying to find a middle ground that gives us accountability, which is why I have made this post. For feedback.
And your only feedback is that you can do better, but you won't say how. And until you do in a civilized way, I won't be unscreening your comments.
no subject
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-29 08:42 pm (UTC)(link)I just don't like the work you guys do as mods and I said so plainly, that's not uncivilized. Sorry my feedback isn't to your liking but I gotta point out, you asked for it qualifier free.
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-30 01:17 pm (UTC)(link)You've always been a substandard mod, so I'm not surprised to see you react this way to criticism, but it's still annoying to see. This kind of poor leadership is a contributing factor to why the place has gone so far downhill, and I genuinely hope somebody does make a different one.
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-29 07:58 pm (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-30 02:25 am (UTC)(link)no subject
We'll get back to you on that one.
no subject
no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-30 06:52 pm (UTC)(link)no subject
(Anonymous) 2026-04-30 06:18 pm (UTC)(link)It also may just be paranoia talking but I fear allowing accounts with too recognizable of an identity might encourage more drama and infighting later on. Would it be too harsh to only allow nonsensical or numerical username strings and no avatar as a medium between full-character and anonymity?